Monday, June 29, 2009

A very important issue

Okay, so I know I said that I would be back on but my computer and my Internet decided to act up. First, my computer said I had a virus and then the Internet went out. Good thing, no virus. So remember to always check your computer!!!

I have been contemplating whether or not to post this and finally decided that it needed to be shared. This needs to be shared with everyone, so feel free to pass it a long!

How do you personally feel about your current job? Are you making enough money to pay the bills and provide a few family fun activities a month? Do you think you are worth more then what you are getting paid? If you answered yes to any of these questions, get in line with the millions of people who, like me feel the same way. I know that we are in a recession and that we have been asked to be prepared. But seriously, how are we to do that if you live pay check to pay check and that is not having any extra bills. Just your basics, i.e; rent or mortgage, power, water/sewer, phone service, etc... I guess everyone feels the same about their job or their spouses job, but I feel a little bit more anger when it comes to this. See "Hot" firefighter (hence, firefighter) does not in the least make what he is worth. He has a master's degree and we like many other fellow Civil Service families live in poverty. Check this out, on payscale.com it shows that the national average salary for a firefighter with less than one year of experience is $32,276 and a firefighter with 1 - 4 years on average would make $36,984. Come on people, these are the ones who sometimes give their life to help others and yet they get paid nothing. Many have second or even third jobs just to get to an annual income of $50,000 and what do they sacrifice? A lot if you ask me. Time away from family, sleep, some even end up with post traumatic syndrome.

Don't get me wrong, many of the FF like to be gone from their family. Consider it their time and don't have to be bother with everyday family life. But "Hot" FF, well he's different! He likes to be with us, sometimes the guys at work tease him a bit because they always say how they are glad to be a way from the family for 24 hours. Not "Hot" FF, he tells them so! Loves to be with us and we, well we like to have him around. He doesn't work a second or third job by choice. He wants to be home, wants to help raise the bambinoes, but most of all wants to be an example to them and help them in their own daily lives. Too many people now a days can't live without all the wants and sacrifice so much for those. Yet, what do they lose out on? FAMILY. I understand that sometimes both parents have to work, but I also understand that no boat, car, toy, house, etc... is more important than family.

Next time you see a FF, thank them for their service and time. Know that all schedules are different, but "Hot" FF works 24 on, 48 off and that he doesn't make boko bucks. Remember to tell them to thank their families for sacrificing their time of allowing them to be FF. Raise awareness that FF do not get paid what they are worth and that many are working more then one job just to put food on the table. Let's not forget the ones who are Volunteer FF (they don't get paid, key word Volunteer). Speak up, let the Government know that they need to pay these men and women more. I would rather a FF who loves their job and doesn't have to work many (so rested) save my life, my family, or whatever I might need help with then one who is just there because it is a job, one of many for them and gets them a way from their family for 24 hours. More likely to do their job right and to hold their head high to say, "Yes, I am proud to be Fire Fighter"

1 comment:

  1. So well spoken. If this does not get people to understand that FF do alot and get little for it. Time with ones family is way more important then the big house, boat, secound home, nice cars, ect.
    I think everyone needs to think about this post and say hey those who risk their lives for our safety should be paid more.

    ReplyDelete